Confetti Fest is an original short play festival that seeks to develop and highlight local playwriting talents. We are seeking plays written by Capital Region Playwrights to be considered for participation in a play development process and our 12th annual short play festival, Confetti Fest 12 in October 2016. Our short play festival was the first in the Capital District to feature all original works by local playwrights. Previous works from our festivals have been chosen to perform at the TANYS (Theatre Association of New York State) and ESTA (Eastern States Theater Association) Festivals, including our 2010 production of “Holy Night” by Diane M. Doring, our 2011 production of “Safe Words” by Nathaniel Beynon, our 2013 production of “Mirror Bowl” by Sunny da Silva, our 2014 production of “Luc” by Julie Demers, and our 2015 production of “Nailing It” by Mark Dalton.
The Play Development Process:
Confetti Stage believes in supporting the improvement and development of artist’s skills through the production process, and with last year’s Confetti Fest 11 we extended this philosophy to script development for playwrights prior to the rehearsal period. The aim of this process is to help playwrights further explore their scripts in collaboration with an experienced mentor and refine their work for production.
Playwrights who submit their work to Confetti Fest 12 can expect and must agree to participate in this script development period during the summer 2016 months prior to rehearsals starting in August 2016. Script development will include:
- Scheduled one-on-one sessions with an experienced playwright mentor, who will provide constructive critique and help you explore ways in which you can further develop and improve your work
- Discussing and creating a plan of action to address aspects of the work that you and your mentor have targeted for revision
- A guided revision process, which will result in a refined version of your work by the beginning of the rehearsal period
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED OR POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN APRIL 1, 2016.
SUBMISSIONS MUST BE:
- No longer than 30 pages of script AND running time cannot exceed 30 minutes
- In 12-pt, Times New Roman font
- Applicable to our mission statement (see below)
- An original work by a playwright currently local to the Capital Region (works that have NOT been previously produced are encouraged)
- Multiple submissions are accepted, but please make a separate submission for each script
Please include, on a separate cover page OR in your submission email:
- Playwright’s contact information, including name, email address, local address, and phone number
- The following statement: “By submitting [title of play] by [playwright’s name] for consideration, I am agreeing to actively participate in the Confetti Fest 12 script development and revision process before the start of rehearsals. I understand that if I cannot or do not actively participate in play development, the play may be removed from the festival lineup.”
- A brief synopsis of your play (100 words max.; think what you’d like publicity for your play to say)
- Estimated running time
- Character breakdown, including any casting preferences
- Set and scene descriptions
- Tech requirements (include lighting, sound, costume, prop/scenery requirements)
- Any previous workshop or production history
Participants of Confetti Fest can expect:
- A fun, collaborative process
- A fully-staged, off-book production of your script
- Full credit in all programs and promotional materials for the festival
- Possible adjudication by the Theatre Association of New York State (TANYS), as well as the possibility of having your work selected to perform at state (TANYS) and/or regional (ESTA) theater festivals.
- Scripts are chosen through a blind selection process by a committee of readers.
- Playwrights will be notified by June 1st if their submission is chosen and will be expected at that time to make arrangements with the playwright mentor to start the development process.
- Confetti Stage reserves the right to pull a play from the festival if the playwright cannot or does not actively participate in the script development process after it has been selected.
Submissions can be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Confetti Stage, Inc.
Confetti Fest 12
67 Corning Place
Albany, NY 12207
Please contact us at email@example.com